SCIENTIA GEOGRAPHICA SINICA ›› 2012, Vol. 32 ›› Issue (11): 1328-1334.doi: 10.13249/j.cnki.sgs.2012.011.1328

• Orginal Article • Previous Articles     Next Articles

Spatial Distribution of the Enterprises and Living Quanlity of the Employees in the context of Urbanization

Shan-hua WU1(), Zhong-zhen YANG1(), Lu WANG2   

  1. 1. Transportation Management College, Dalian Maritime University, Dalian, Liaoning 116026, China
    2. China Academy of Civil Aviation Science and Technology, Beijing 100028
  • Received:2012-01-09 Revised:2012-04-13 Online:2012-11-20 Published:2012-11-20

Abstract:

Taking the relocated enterprises in Dalian as the object, this article focuses on the spatial distribution of the enterprises and the living qualityof the employees in the context of urbanization. The changes of the spatial distribution of the enterprises before and after the relocation are analyzed firstly, including the distance from the city center and their mutual dispersion degree. Moreover, the relocation intensity and the cost changes of transportation, commuting as well as business trips are calculated based on the main relocation directions. Furthermore, through a questionnaire survey, the willingness of the residential relocation of the employees is analyzed, and the main factors influencing their determination of residential relocation are identified. Finally, the changes of the commuting trips, including the modal split, the expenses, the time, etc. are explored. And then, the reduced free time and the affected living quality of the employees are studied. Main conclusions are as follows. Firstly, the patterns of the spatial distribution are greatly different between the enterprises before and after the relocation. The enterprises are distributed in a sparsely scattered tendency after the relocation. Since the urban space is largely extended, there is a sharp surge in the various costs such as the transportation, the commuting and the business trips. Secondly, only about 4% of the employees move to their new residences near the new locations. The reason for the remaining 96% of the employees not willing to relocate lies in the poor accessibility and the education condition. If the conditions surrounding the new sites meet the requirements, these employees may move to the new sites. Thirdly, the home-work separation of the employees after the relocation deteriorates and the commuting accessibility changes significantly. Nearly two hours of the daily free time has been wasted for the long distance of commuting, and thus the living quality of the employees has been affected seriously.

Key words: urbanization, industrial relocation, living quality, commuting trip, free time

CLC Number: 

  • K902